SEGA Carnival Website •  Carnibooru • FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Console Modding
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 am 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Have any of you modded any of your consoles or handhelds for any reason?

I haven't modded any consoles with the exception of putting some tape on the Saturn's door drive so the console spins discs since it was broken for some reason. I've also hacked my 3DS, but I don't know if you'd count that as modding.

I still need to do a number on multiple consoles, my Sega Master System, Mega Drive, Mega CD and Saturn all need work done on them to ensure they work and are 60hz compatable. I might as well work on the SNES too, plus I'll need to replace the batteries in the Dreamcast and Xbox one day, and I'll probably replace the holders with more modern ones that allow you to clip batteries in instead of soldering them.

How about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Console Modding
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:00 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I've done softmodding to my Wii and 3DS, but nothing physical.

I have considered doing hardmodding to some of my consoles, but I wouldn't have the money to replace them if they broke in the process (or even buy parts for things like an SD card slot for my Dreamcast) so I don't, as much as I want to. That and I'm also afraid I would break something even if I did have the ability to replace what I broke.

Still, I like looking at the modifications people have made (especially paint jobs), and I want to someday paint a GBC, GBA SP or maybe even a Dreamcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 pm 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I have a softmodded Wii and temporarily had a softmodded 3DS but a friend of mine did it and after any update the softmod needs an update as well to continue working, so I just left it at that. Having a softmodded Wii allows me to play certain Wii/Gamecube games I never managed to find otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:47 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
in the time it took for my monkey brain to get an SD card nearly every single wiimote that could have been used had the clap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm 
"What you see is what you get! Just a guy who loves adventure!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I had my 3DS modded a while back and found a way to install a bunch of GBA games onto it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
How have I never posted in this thread? This is so my kind of thing.

I'm in possession of a lot of illegal goods. Most of them done by my dad and myself, except my Master System which was modded by someone I met online. The Master System mod is really incredible, it's now got a 50/60hz switch, the ability to play games in Japanese, a BIOS switch that lets me switch between the Hang On/Safari Hunt PAL bios and the NTSC-J Space Harrier bios, an adapter for Japanese cartridges, backwards compatibility with SG-1000 games and a pause button on the controller (thank god). My Mega Drive is also modded with 50/60hz and language switches and my 32X is modded with S-video output.

What I'm excited about doing next is modding a PS1. I bought one cheap from a pawnshop for modding and am currently just waiting for the modchip to arrive from France. PS1 sucks in PAL regions like NZ honestly, not only is there the 50hz elephant in the room but it feels like half of the best games were just straight up not released here, so I'm looking forward to having a region free PS1 and bypassing all of that. I also want to mod my Mega CD with a region free BIOS too.