It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 am 
"We all did it together!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
So I felt like making a random discussion topic that isn't from Tumblr
This is the first thing that came to mind

So basically, is my Blue the same as your Blue? Or is your Blue my Orange?

There's probably a scientific answer out there, but I'd rather not know for now...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:20 am 
"Lovely Trick!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
as in, what thresholds in which people would consider a color that color?
i.e. i classify cyans as blues moreso than i ever would consider cyan a green
and i consider this a red more than a brown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee

---

Also, I would say yes.
Because of that one time there was that picture of a dress circulating around and people kept seeing two different sets of colors and the fact some people are colorblind, to varying degrees.

But is it different for every person? Or is there a general set of colors that can be perceived and everyone just gets one of them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 pm 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I think what OP implies is, if I were to talk about orange do you perceive orange as a different color but for you that is the default color of orange. It's a very valid question to ask since we can't switch bodies to truly perceive things the way other people do. For example, you could try explain a feeling to someone but they will never know exactly what it feels like because you might feel a different sensation, be more sensitive to something etc. It's even harder to do with colors. Have you ever tried explaining what colors look like to a (color)blind person? It's impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 am 
"All the world's jewels are mine!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
they shouldn't, unless that person's vision is impaired or have brain damage of some sort. lighting doesn't change the color, it only creates optical illusions. and color blind people don't see different colors, the brain cannot differentiate between them. objects reflect the wavelength they reflect. and it would be an evolutionary disadvantage for humans if the perception of reality was so malleable. the universe ain't magic, sadly

i've seen this in r/showerthoughts before though

Arianna#5279

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 pm 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
there are different ways people are able to be colorblind but red is red and blue is blue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 am 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
Well, that's certainly the definition of a color, every color is factually the same every time. But what's stopping each human eye and/or brain from having different imperfections when perceiving the color, even when unimpaired?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:27 am 
"All the world's jewels are mine!"
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
probably that too much variance in visual information would make it difficult for humans to navigate space and communicate in a society where colors are symbolic and certain ones trigger universal knowledge such as graying skin generating the human sense that another is near death, for example. and if your seeing imperfections drastically different from the norm, your vision is impaired.

people don't see different colors or different versions of them, what we have is a spectrum of how well you are able to discern hues properly or some organisms lack the rods and cones to observe the full visible spectrum. i mean, it doesn't hurt to talk about aesthetics and add depth to the entropy of the universe, sure, but it's just existentialism, in truth

the world doesn't really conform to the human mind; rather, we're a product of its constraints

Arianna#5279

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am 
"Show me your power... Or I shall not obey."
Rocky Road
Rocky Road
Quote Paintbrush :
Well, that's certainly the definition of a color, every color is factually the same every time. But what's stopping each human eye and/or brain from having different imperfections when perceiving the color, even when unimpaired?
the convenience that there no such thing as color math that depends on everyone looking at colors the same and identifying them down to the hex value. i dont know enough about computers to say this but even i think that people can view colors differently depending on their monitors and something card? graphics card?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 pm 
(No assigned userbar)
Average Attendee
Average Attendee
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the point.

The idea is that when comparing two people's visions in the way their brain perceives colors, would they see the same or do the way they perceive the same colors differ? Since there's no way we can truly switch places with each other there's no way we could actually tell. You wouldn't know what another person perceives in any way because you're not literally that person and you won't ever be able to be. We can't compare our experiences because we've never had the experience in the same body that functions exactly the same. There's not really a way to say it.

It's not about being colorblind, everything being messed up or everything looking different. Someone could be seeing the color "red" while the other person would also be seeing the color "red", but it's possible that they're actually seeing different colors due to the way they perceive it. If they would switch their perceptions somehow, one would think the color is actually yellow or maybe even colors that they've never seen before. The only way of knowing for sure is performing an impossible task. Much like how we can't say for sure what happens after we die because no one has come back to report whether heaven exists or not.

Even though colors have a distinct way of being perceived, trigger certain brain activity (red makes you alert, blue calms you down, orange makes you hungry, etc) and colors have a certain intensity to them, a lot about colors is taught and how our brain processes what we see. Of course it would look crazy to you if it was actually true and you switched places with someone but to them that is the normal way of perceiving things and it's how their brain simply works.